Ruth celebrates her Shamus award at Bouchercon 2014
1. She rode horseback in the Cheyenne Frontier Days parade. (That’s in Wyoming.)
2. For five years she worked as a ventriloquist-magician.
3. She can recite the Greek alphabet before a match torn out of a matchbook burns down to her fingers.
4. If she ever faces the electric chair, her choice of last meal would be tuna casserole.
5. In her first semester in college, her English teacher told her she had absolutely no aptitude for writing. (Who knew the assigned expository essay on “The Contents of a Woman’s Purse” wasn’t supposed to be enlivened by any humor?) Shortly thereafter Ruth won the Mademoiselle magazine play writing contest, leading to her first publication for a national market.